How can bronchiolitis be prevented?
The viruses that cause bronchiolitis are very common and easily spread. It is, therefore, not possible to prevent the condition altogether, but there are some simple steps to reduce the chances of your child getting bronchiolitis. If your child already has bronchiolitis, then these steps can help prevent the infection spreading further.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water - especially before you touch the baby. Make sure siblings and visitors wash their hands too
- Cover your child's nose and mouth when they cough or sneeze near the baby
- Try to keep your baby away from other children and adults who show signs of a cough or cold
- Wash or wipe toys regularly to prevent the spread of germs
- Ensure your baby is kept away from tobacco smoke. Never allow anyone to smoke around your baby
For babies with a high risk of developing severe bronchiolitis, you may wish to seek further advice on how to reduce their risk from your healthcare professional.